Thursday, September 17, 2009

Book Review: Plain Promise


Recently, I saw where one of my friends was reviewing books sent to her (for free!) and in return, she just had to write a couple reviews. I decided I would love to do it as well. This is my first review, on the book Plain Promise by Beth Wiseman.

Set in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, Plain Promise is about a widow, Sadie Fisher, and Englisher Kade Saunders. Sadie rents out a cottage to Englishers who come visit Pennsylvania Amish country. Kade comes to Lancaster County, hoping to get away from his life and sort out the mess that's been made of it. While there, his autistic son comes to live with him for the first time since he and his wife separated three years earlier. Now facing raising his son alone, Kade realizes that things need to change in his life.
Sadie is worried what the bishop will think of the Englisher staying with her for three months, and becomes even more so when she starts to have feelings for Kade. She constantly wonders what God's will is for her life, and if it includes a husband and children. Plain Promise is a story that shows the faithfulness of God if we just wait on His plan and timing.

I've read several Amish fiction books, and I was at first skeptical about this one, thinking it would be like all the others. I was, however, surprised to find that the story was unlike any I had ever read, especially the ending. Beth Wiseman writes moving Amish fiction like that of Beverly Lewis.

**There are two others that precede this book, Plain Perfect and Plain Pursuit.**

No comments: