Thursday, September 3, 2009

Life isn't very "shiny" right now. It's not horrible; there is just a dullness to it. I'm not sure what makes it that way. Perhaps falling into the routine of school once again, trying Weight Watchers, and knowing that life is waiting for me out there if I could just make it through this year. (Where does Weight Watchers come in? I make it very limiting so that I don't run out of points, therefore not eating all the foods I love.) I have somehow come to another season of waiting in my life, and I always grow restless when that happens. I think the difference this time, however, is the knowledge that I am about to step out of a covering that I've had since I was five. School will no longer be my main occupation, unless I am teaching it.
Although life has become rather "blah" to me, there are a few glimmers that get me through. Tonight, I baby-sat for a family that I've watched for seven years. After putting the two younger ones to bed, I waited, knowing that one of them would come to me with some sort of complaint or request. Sure enough, not five minutes later, the youngest found me.
"He won't stop making noises!"she complained.
"If you keep asking him to stop, then he will keep doing it because he knows it annoys you. If you ignore him, he will stop."
LONG PAUSE as she played with her stuffed puppy...
"Were you talking to me?" she asked finally.
"Yes, I was." I said, trying not to laugh.
"Oh, what did you say?"
I repeated what I had said the first time.
"But I'm not annoying him! He's annoying me!"she said, indignantly.
"I know. Ignore him and he will quit!" I replied, not sure how she could misunderstand me.
"...So you want me to annoy him?" she asked, confused.
"IGNORE HIM! Go to sleep!" I closed the door to her protests.
Maybe annoying him would have worked after all. 

1 comment:

Serenity said...

"life isn't very shiny right now." I wrote a similar thing when I was in college. I think I know how you feel. I had a day like that recently but wondered if one day I'll look back on the non-shiny days and remember them as peaceful instead of mundane. I think life will look really shiny as you get closer to graduation. The world at your fingertips and you don't even know it. :) (I don't know if you've seen the movie I'm quoting...)