Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Getting Through the Tough Spots


I haven't written on here in over a month, and my last post was about a book review. How sad! Life has been crazy lately and stressful. Whenever I hit these hard times, there is only one thing I want to do (besides cry and ask God to get me past it). I want to immerse myself into the world of F.R.I.E.N.D.S and pretend I have no worries that are bigger than what they are "going through." (Yes, I know they are fictional characters...)

If I'm having a bad day, I just turn on an episode of Friends and forget my own problems as I watch Rachel and Ross' roller coaster relationship and their parenting skills as they sing  "Baby Got Back" to Emma. My problems seem minute compared to Phoebe trying to teach Joey French. Whenever I hear the theme song, I just smile to myself because I really do feel like they are "there for me" when many things are going wrong in my life. Even better than the television show, I know that I have my own Ross, Rachel, Phoebe, Joey, Monica, and Chandler friends in my life. Friends who help me through hard times. I have "no need to worry" with friends like mine.

A Friends moment I had to share in parting. :)

3 comments:

Serenity said...

Ah yes. This very same idea made it into my memoir. Friends is such a nice escape for me too. And I always say that what made people love the show so much is that we do all want friends like that. David Gray gave me a sweatshirt once with f.r.i.e.n.d.s. on it and he added painted words so that it said, "Real f.r.i.e.n.d.s., I've got 'em. Proverbs 18:24." I loved that shirt. And I adore friends. I've watched it every day this week at lunch or just before bed!

Laughing Brown Eyes said...

I remember that sweatshirt! Once, when you first bought your house, I stopped by to give you something (I can't remember what it was), and you were wearing it. :)

I can't wait to someday read your memoir...and your novel!

Luiza said...

Hi, Nikki!
Wow! I "bumped" in your blog because of You've got mail post (I was searching about the movie on the Google). I'm sorry if my English is... not perfect. I'm Brasilian and still learning it.

But I figure out we have a lot of things in common! I feel the same way about FRIENDS and You've got mail also makes me very inspired. :D
I'm very glad I had the opportunity to know a little about you through this blog. :3

I hope you'll pass the hard time and find all the happiness you deserve!

Lou