Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Things I Could Never Do Before

Here I am, sitting in a new house, in a new city, in a new state. I am thousands of miles away from home. I have all of the normal feelings-excitement, anticipation, and a touch of nerves. I can hardly believe I am starting a new chapter in life. It's so refreshing. And scary.


I thought I would move to California and take on Fresno like a madwoman. I imagined myself being a champion of sorts, finding a job in a week, seeing what the city has to offer, and jumping into California life right away. What I realized instead was that I was already doing things that make me a champion, just by living life. Switching states and changing my residency isn't the only thing that makes me victorious.


I woke up this weekend with an ear infection, and it grew progressively worse until I had to call a doctor to prescribe an antibiotic. When I picked it up from the pharmacy, I saw the pill was the size of the state I now live in. I have a horrible gag reflex and was sure I would throw it up/gag it up/ or finally get it down after it was half-disintegrated. I stared at the pill, sitting in the palm of my hand, as my stomach cringed at the thought of getting it down. Finally, mustering up enough courage to take the pill, I shoved it in my mouth and took a long swig of water. The pill washed right down, and I was so surprised, I stopped mid-drink and just stared at myself in the mirror before remembering to drink more water. To most people, that story doesn't mean much. To me, however, that story is everything. I couldn't take large pills before. I would try several times before giving up and staying sick or finding an alternate route. But now I can. And I did. Champion, right there.

Pismo Beach...I just had to add it! :)
There are other things that I find myself doing, things I never thought I would see myself do. Everyone must think that I could move halfway across the country easy-peasy, but honestly? That was one of the hardest things I've done so far in my life. But I did it. So that makes me victorious. It's not always big though, like the pill. I started a bank account today in a new city. Thursday, I am getting my California drivers' license. We all have accomplishments or milestones that make us feel like champions. They seem like nothing to those around us, but we know that they are a sign of victory. Embrace those moments and remember them later when you face thing you thought you couldn't do before.

2 comments:

Joni said...

Nikki, I loved reading this. My eyes filled with tears as I read it. You are much stronger than you know! I am so proud of you. And pray good things and blessings for you! We will certainly miss you here (but hey! we might just have to move to CA)! Love the picture of the ocean! Jealous! think of us this winter when its dark and cold here. LOL! Love you alot!

Carrie said...

Good to see you writing again. What a beautiful picture of Pismo Beach. That was one of the places Jonathan and I stopped on our two week trek up Hwy 1 before the kids were born. I miss it!