Saturday, December 6, 2014

Why I Won't Define Myself as Single

It seems like my newsfeed is always full of links to an article or blog post that either a) berates singles for not understanding married couples or b) explains how to deal with people who don't understand the single person's plight and triumphs in living up the single life. I typically ignore these posts, partly because the posts are lengthy (i.e. 25 reasons being single is awesome), but mostly because reading them doesn't make me feel better one way or the other, and it also doesn't change which box I check when doing my taxes. I'm single. Some days it's hard; most days it's easy. Reading an article that analyzes the mid-twenty something and why she's single, why she should be lucky she's single, etc should not influence my decision to accept where I am in life.



I've recently started shifting my thoughts and attitude in regards to being single. There came a point when I had been to enough weddings and later baby showers for friends and family that I could either spiral into a deep depression and feel miserable or I could learn to accept that I'm actually okay and being "just" me is not the end of the world. I had to give myself a pep talk, and occasionally, I still do. It is something like this (looks at self in nearest available mirror): 



"If you aren't happy about your situation, do something about it. Find your happiness. Don't make "woe is me" comments and wallow. Take in the world around you and see what it has to offer. I cannot guarantee you will be in a relationship someday, but I can tell you that these moments right now will never happen again. Embrace life- every minute, every second- and find happiness in the small things. Travel. Write a book. Make new friends. Look for opportunities to flourish and grow as you- just you. And regardless if this brings you the love of your life or not, don't despise this moment in time. Don't expedite your life and miss the now."


I also like to remember this quote from Audrey Hepburn, full of grace and wisdom, humility and compassion. She said, "Nothing is impossible! The word itself says, 'I'm possible!'"  When I remember that, facing the world as "me" doesn't seem so scary. It is quite possible to enjoy life independently and not constantly wonder if the next person who walks into the room will be my future boyfriend. 


If I find myself quickly scrolling past the pictures of couples or articles about why I'm single and my friends are not, I don't feel discouraged. Instead, I feel hopeful and excited. I don't need another person to define who I am. I also don't need to wait to start living until I am in a meaningful relationship. As Dr. Seuss said, "Because when you stop and look around, this life is pretty amazing."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a great post! It reminds me of something I recently heard: "many times we think the grass is greener on the other side, when really we just need to water the grass on our side."

:)

Keep writing!

-kate w.

Laughing Brown Eyes said...

Exactly! ;) I'm definitely watering my own grass now!