Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The Journey Ahead

"How we spend our lives is, of course, how we spend our days." ~ Annie Dillard (American writer)

For months, I have been asking myself, What next? I thought that after trekking across Europe I would have a clear idea of what my next step in life would be. Instead, I found that I had no clue what it was. That scared me. I wrestled with different options, looked for jobs (without much luck), and just decided to try to make it as was until I could find something that worked for me. That was fine until I realized one day that I was just sitting still, not moving forward at all. I could no longer just "float" along in life, waiting for the next big thing to happen. I could make plans all I wanted, but if I never pursued them, it was pointless.

As it turns out, my deciding to become proactive worked in my favor. When one of my cousins suggested I apply at a Christian summer camp in Nebraska that her husband works at, I had my doubts. I mean, go live in another state for the summer? Could I do something like that? I wasn't sure that I could. Yet I was still filled with excitement at the possibility of going. After much consideration, I sent in my application and waited to hear from the program director. 

It didn't take long. I heard back the next day, and we set up a time to have a phone interview. It was a week away, and I was a bundle of nerves, waiting for the next week to go by. Finally, it did, and I had the interview. It went amazingly, and I felt such a peace about the whole thing. 

That was a week ago, and I tried not to let myself think too much about it and get my hopes up. If it were the right thing for me, it would happen. In some ways, this opportunity made me more nervous than even traveling to Europe for seven weeks by myself. It was a nervous excitement, but also a little bit of fear that comes with anything new and uncertain.

Today, I received a message asking if I was still interested in the job because the director would love to have me there. (Enter huge grin and happy dance) Never did I think I would be able to do something like this, and yet here I am, heading to Nebraska in 37 days...because, yes, I did take the job. And after that? Who knows! I only know that I am taking purposeful steps and living my life to the fullest. 

For those interested: The job is a staff position coordinating the snack shack but also being a part of the camp's daily life. The kids range from the ages of entering first grade to entering their senior year, and there are new campers every week. I will be 30 minutes-ish from Omaha and about that far from my cousins too. If you have any questions, please ask! I do have a lot more information. :)

I will miss living here a lot, but in this day and age, technology really does keep us closer.  

3 comments:

Jessica said...

YAY for you!! I am so excited for you and all that is ahead ... it sounds like a very exciting summer and who knows where that will lead to for your "Next" ... Have fun!!!

Serenity Bohon said...

So many thoughts - First, what made you use an Annie Dillard qoute? I JUST read three little books by her. She has some of the most poetic phrases about life. This one was in one of the books I read.

Also, I want you to take COPIOUS notes. I so relate to the way you describe what you thought would happen because of your Europe trip and yet where you found yourself. Very well put. And I can't wait for the things you discover about life and yourself during this adventure.

Congratulations on being offered the job! That's a wonderful accomplishment. And I think you're going to love it.

Carrie said...

How exciting! We are leaving tomorrow morning to visit Sarah and Adam and will see the campground for the first time. Sounds like this summer will be a very exciting one for you!